Friday, January 12, 2007

Support the amendment to strike Section 220 of S. 1.

I understand that an amendment has been introduced to remove an extremely troubling provision in S. 1, a bill you and your colleagues are now debating. I can't emphasize to you enough my hope that you will support this amendment -- and support my right to free speech.

As I understand it, the provision in question -- Section 220 -- would place severe restrictions on my right to hear from groups I trust about what is going on in Congress. Because these groups be subject to fines of $100,000 for not complying with the miles of red tape the bill mandates, I am greatly concerned they will simply stop providing me with information I need to know about legislation that affects me.

I applaud your efforts to clean up the unethical activity of some lobbyists on Capitol Hill -- but those are not the kinds of lobbyists being targeted by Section 220. People like me are the ones being targeted.

So, please vote for the Bennett amendment to strip the unfair grassroots-lobbying provisions in S.1. Anything less would be allowing a muzzle to be placed on the very men and women who put you in office.

No comments: